Monday 11 April 2011

The April Counterfeit Kit Challenge begins...

April 5th came and went.


I think there were lots of us were waiting for this day so that we could jump onto the Counterfeit Kit Challenge site to see which kit had been chosen for our forgery work to begin.


The inspiration kit this month has been created by a brand new kit club called Front Porch Kits  - this kit was their first and it totally sold out on its FIRST day! This über-popular kit, A Little Birdie Told Me, is gorgeously full of a great mix of papers by Echo Park, Fancy Pants and Bella Blvd and a wonderfully colourful collection of embellishments.


Now I know this sounds a bit lame but I have some of the papers from the kit in my stash (Echo Park, For The Record) and I couldn't bring myself to break up my collection pack and put just one or two of these papers into my kit!


And one of my main objectives in playing along with this challenge is to use up old and older product and For The Record is way too new for me to include! Weird but true!


Anyway, I put together a set of papers taking inspiration from several of the wonderful Mater Forgers (the CKC design team - check out their kits here) such as including BG Urban Prairie papers, and pulled together a large embellishment selection to go with it. I love the original kit from Front Porch Kits but if I had had the original kit, I would have needed more alphabet! There was only one in the kit. I have decided to add in all three of the BG alphas I had, some Crate Paper chipboard letters and some Tiny Type from CC. Better to have too many letter than not enough! And then lots and lots of bits and pieces including a pile of buttons and brads. I seem to have way too many of both and I hardly ever use brads, so this month I want to find ways of including brads into my designs.




So if anyone has any ideas for how I can use brads in new and/or interesting ways, please let me know - I've literally got hundreds.

Anyway, I decided to dive right in, grab a photo and get going. I challenged myself to use a mix of papers and this background paper was my least favourite so that had to be first. And I kind of like it after all! I cut the banners from a sheet of AC (sometimes I seem to give myself work!)

And I used 12 brads (only another Xhundred to go!)

The layout is ok - although I feel it's missing something. I had wanted to use two photos but couldn't put my hands on a second so filled the space with some words. Maybe that block should have been central?


My target for this kit?At least the same as last month (6 single layouts) but I'd also like to make up a few cards and I have been thinking about using up a batch of photos at once by making a photo-album scrapbook - quick and easy.

Watch this space for progress!

13 comments:

  1. I had For The Record on order and totally thought that I'd split it up and add some to my kit this month. Can't bear to - it needs a little more stroking before it's used!

    Love your kit - especially the embellies. You have so many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had For The Record in a DT kit and used it all, so I didn't have any left for this challenge!

    Your kit has a gorgeous soft, Easter-y look to it. I can easily see you getting 6 lovely pages from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty kit you have made! The layout is great with those scalloped borders as accents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous kit-I totally would buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a big kit, with lots of embellies, but you use them so well. Speaking of which, today's layout is a little on the clean and simple side for you, but then again that pattern paper packs a punch. One way I use up brads is to put them in the holes on buttons - totally stole that idea from somebody else. And I wonder if I am the only scrapper around who doesn't own a single piece of For The Record?

    ReplyDelete
  6. all your product looks so neat and organized laid out like that. so inspiring. cant't wait to see what you create. which kit club do you susbcribe to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That kit looks so divine. Color & happy & all that is springtime-goodness. I would have purchased it just to look at it's happiness!

    You will make a good 12 pages out of it all~ :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for using up old stash - to me that's the whole point of Counterfeiting! I love the lines of ric-rac to space out the journalling - a fun idea. As for brads ... I too have a gazillion (and never quite the right colour which is odd!) ... just put 6 on each and every page, repeat for the next 10 years and you may have dented your supply! At least they're easier to use than eyelets!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a gorgeous kit and I love how you did the journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love you kit, great job. And lots of embellishments, just the way I like my kits!

    There are a few things you can do with your brads, for instance you can paint or emboss your brads to make them match the color of your layouts. You can use 2 and wind bakers twine or ribbon between them. You can use a whole bunch to cover a chipboard piece, like the birds in his months inspiration kit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heidi5:05 pm

    Lisa - just now stopping by! The kit looks great. (I need to post pictures of mine on Flickr since I don't have a blog.) Love the first LO. Can't wait to see what else you do w/ it! I need to pull mine out and play with it this coming weekend! Thanks for sharing the goods! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous looking kit. I used some of my For the Record in my kit too, but reluctantly ;-) Love your layout with all the banners.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:23 pm

    fab lo very brave using that paper as backing paper!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time. <3 <3 <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...